Favorite Recipe: Homemade Tomato Sauce
This has been my go-to pasta sauce recipe for as long as I can remember. My mom (half-Italian–you can trust me) passed it on to me and it’s fool-proof, cheap, and incredibly delicious. Never buy a can of sauce again! Make a big batch and freeze portions if you need an even faster meal. Serve on top of any pasta or use it as a base sauce for pizza, puttanesca, bolognese sauce….pretty much anything! 😉
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can crushed (not strained!) or whole plum canned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (optional, but adds flavor and thickens)
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh basil (optional)–added at end!
1) Heat oil in saucepan to medium heat, add garlic, and stirring for around 1-2 minute (be careful not to brown)
2) Add bay leaves, half the oregano, and stir until fragrant.
3) Add canned tomatoes, additional oregano, salt and pepper, stir, and reduce to simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes on low-medium heat.
Serves: 1/2 lb pasta–depending on how saucy you like your pasta of course.
See? Told you it was easy!