Favorite Recipe: Super Easy & Healthy Chickpea Curry
Ok, so I literally came up with this recipe last week at the last minute, when I was desperate for a new dinner option, to use up a can of garbanzo (chickpea) beans, and craving Indian. I promise it is super easy…after all, I am stuck in a college apartment kitchen and generally don’t have enough time for long food preps, etc. It turned out great (much to my excitement..and stomach) and so now I’m here to pass along the goods to you 🙂
It is super healthy, has tons of fiber and protein from the chickpeas, and is very low in fat.
If you don’t have all the spices on hand, use whatever you have or look at our earlier post on ordering spices from Penzey’s! Hope you enjoy the recipe!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 15-oz can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 spoonfuls plain yogurt (optional)
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft or golden color.
- Add garlic and spices, and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously until aromatic.
- Add tomatoes and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in chicken broth and chickpeas, cover and let simmer 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in yogurt at end.
Super easy, what did I tell you? This is great served with quinoa, but would also be great with brown rice or basmati, or nothing at all. I always serve it with a big spoonful of greek or regular plain yogurt. This really helps cut any heat and just tastes good! Enjoy and be sure to let us know your thoughts if you decide to make it yourself !